The Caribbean Tourism Organization in collaboration with TravelMole identifies Hamanasi as a dedicated leader in sustainable tourism. Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort was recently named winner of the Sustainable Accommodation Award during the 2014 CTO-TravelMole Caribbean Excellence in Sustainable Tourism Awards ceremony at the State of the Industry Conference in St. Thomas. The annual event recognizes individuals, groups, organizations and companies in CTO Member Countries that incorporate sustainable business practices during the previous year. This is the first time Hamanasi has received this honor.
The CTO-TravelMole Awards recognize those who have developed unique and attractive tourism products or have implemented sustainable tourism-related initiatives that embrace sustainable tourism concepts and core values, which help to enhance Caribbean tourism.
“We started these awards to give our partners endorsements they can share with potential visitors so they can garner more business,” said Gail Henry, CTO’s sustainable tourism product specialist. “There are persons keen on keeping their carbon footprint at a minimum during travel and through our award designations these properties and attractions can be easily identified.”
The awards encompass six categories covering all aspects of sustainability, from overall excellence, to accommodation, community, heritage and biodiversity. The nominations were judged by three tourism and environmental specialists: Lloyd Gardener, president of the Foundation for Development Planning Inc. in the USVI; Jake Kheel, environmental director at Puntacana Resort & Club in the Dominican Republic and Gail Henry.
The following award recipients represent a wide range of sustainability initiatives and all are working hard to enhance the Caribbean’s desirability as a holiday destination – congratulations:
Destination Stewardship Award:
• Special Mention: Rewa Village (Guyana)
• Winner: Ministry of Tourism and International Transport (St. Kitts & Nevis)
Sustainable Accommodation Award:
• Special Mention: Rosalie Bay Resort (Dominica) and Xanadu Island Resort (Belize)
• Winner: Hamanasi Adventure and Dive Resort (Belize)
Community Benefit Award:
• Special Mention: Tryall Club and Villas (Jamaica)
• Winner: Belmont Plantation Company/Belmont Estate (Grenada)
• Special Mention: Turks and Caicos National Trust (TCI)
• Winner: Jost Van Dykes Preservation Society (BVI)
Biodiversity Conservation Award:
• Special Mention: Atlantis Submarines (Barbados)
• Winner: Guana Island Hotel (BVI)
Caribbean Excellence in Sustainable Tourism Award:
• Special Mention: Compass Point Dive Resort (Cayman Islands)
• Winner: Puerto Rico Tourism Company